- Dr. Alois Flatz (VC)
- Zouk Capital
- Alois Flatz has over 20 years of experience in investment management focused on sustainability themes. He is a Partner at Zouk Capital, a leading private equity investor with more than €400 million under management. Zouk operates a dual-track strategy focused on cleantech growth capital and renewable energy infrastructure. Alois coordinated the fundraising of Cleantech Europe II, which at €230 million is the largest cleantech growth capital fund in Europe. He manages the full growth capital investment cycle: originating, developing and exiting successful companies such as SiC Processing, which returned to one of the best cleantech exits after the financial crisis. Before joining Zouk, Alois was a Partner and Head of Research at SAM Sustainable Asset Management in Zurich, where he co-founded the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Alois was also Managing Partner of BTS Investment Advisors, a private equity advisor in India with over $3 billion AUM, and an advisor to the Austrian Ministry of the Environment. Alois has a PhD in Business Administration from the University of St. Gallen, an MBA from Vienna University of Economics and studied International Management at HEC.
- Bart Markus (VC)
- General Partner
- Wellington Partners
- Apart from being a veteran VC, Bart is a seasoned and passionate entrepreneur and is renowned for his relentless drive (and lack of patience therein) to internationalise companies and helping them to become successful beyond Europe by conquering the US or Asia. A Dutch native, he has been a General Partner at Wellington since 2000. He primarily focuses on process technologies, in particular in the Electronics and Cleantech areas. Prior to the past ten years which he spent as an investor in Tech companies, Bart has co-founded three companies including the MRI Centre, now a highly successful chain of private medical diagnostic clinics. He also set up and acted as CEO for ePearle, a pan-European B2B eCommerce start-up. Before Wellington, Bart was an investment professional at HAL Investments and an Associate at McKinsey working in Holland and South Africa. He started his career as a process control system and project engineer with Shell in Norway. Bart holds an MSc in Applied Physics from Twente University of Technology in The Netherlands and an MBA from INSEAD in France.
- Rene Savelsberg (VC)
- Chrysalix SET
- Rene Savelsberg is co-founder, CEO and Managing Director of Chrysalix SET since 2007. He is responsible for the strategy and overall operations of the SET Funds. His focus is on companies in the areas of smart grid, energy efficiency, transportation and infrastructure. He serves on the Board of Sefaira and is observer on the Boards of Alertme.com, General Fusion and MicroShade. He also served on the Board of Epyon which was acquired by ABB in June 2011. Between 1997 and 2004 Rene led the Philips Corporate Venturing activities, initially in Silicon Valley and later expanding into Europe and Israel, managing investments in over 40 companies. After Philips decided to depart from its corporate VC involvement Rene successfully divested the portfolio by the end of 2004. In the meantime, he joined Philips’ Corporate M&A department where he was also responsible for semiconductor-related transactions and was instrumental in the €6.4 billion divestment of the Philips Semiconductor Division, now called NXP. Prior to (re)joining Philips Rene worked during 5 years for the Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency, the economic development agency of the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs. Rene Savelsberg holds a Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering & Management from the Technical University Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- Fabienne Herlaut (VC)
- Managing Partner
- Ecomobilité Ventures
- Fabienne Herlaut graduated from Ecole Superieure de Commerce de Paris and holds a Master degree from Harvard Business School. After graduation, she joins Bain and Co. in the Boston and Paris offices. From 1990 until 2001, she joins Harwanne, a diversified holding company (mining, packaging, electronics), listed in Paris and Geneva, as General Manager. She is in charge of managing the portfolio of participations (M&A) and supervising the operational performance of Harwanne subsidiaries to drive them toward leadership positions. In 2001, she joins Pechiney as Head of Corporate Strategy and following Alcan takeover, co-leads the integration between Alcan and Pechiney. In 2005, she joins ArcelorMittal, Flat Carbon Steel division, in charge of business development and partnerships. In 2007, she joins SNCF as head of Corporate Strategy and Sustainable Development, member of the Executive Committee. In 2008, she launches Ecomobilité Partenaires, SNCF Corporate Venture fund dedicated to sustainable development with €15M equity and investments in six companies. In November 2011, Fabienne Herlaut leaves SNCF to create Eclaircile Gestion, in charge of managing Ecomobilité Ventures, the newly created €25M multi corporate (SNCF, Orange, Total) venture fund, dedicated to sustainable mobility.
- Dr. Tarja Teppo (VC)
- Cleantech Invest
- Tarja (MSc in Engineering, PhD in Tech) is the co-founder of Cleantech Invest that has provided Cleantech investment advisory for large institutional clients in the Nordic area since 2005. Cleantech Invest (CTI) has been mandated as the cleantech accelerator by the government of Finland. CTI manages Clean Future Fund I (CFF I) that has made nine investments into early stage cleantech ventures. Tarja has also been involved in organizing the Nordic cleantech venture day since its inception seven years ago. She has been following the development of the cleantech investment market since its early stages, through her research at the Helsinki University of Technology, starting in 2002. She defended her thesis on “Venture Capital Investment in Sustainable Energy Technologies” in 2006. Prior to 2002, she worked for Nokia Ventures Organization in the United States and headed R&D groups at Nokia Corporation.
- Dr. Peter van Gelderen (VC)
- Icos Capital
- Peter van Gelderen is one of the founding Managing Partners at Icos Capital, a leading European cleantech investor with offices in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Munich. He is responsible for the overall investment strategy of Icos Capital and a board member in five Icos portfolio companies. Icos Capital developed a unique collaborative corporate venturing model with cornerstone investors that are actively involved in energy, water and bio-based chemicals markets. Before co-founding Icos Capital, Peter worked as a strategy consultant at Deloitte, focusing on energy, recycling, water and technology markets. He advised globally active corporations on expansion strategy, mergers and acquisitions and joint-venture deals. In this capacity, he contributed substantially to the revision of the business strategy of several of these companies in response to new market developments such as technology innovation and renewable energy. He also advised the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs on innovation policy. Peter started his career in the Philips Research Laboratories, where he was involved in nanotechnology and new materials research and development. He received a PhD in theoretical physics from Nijmegen University and is a frequent speaker on cleantech investing, innovative technology developments and sustainability.
- Alexander Schlaepfer (VC)
- Aster Capital
- Alexander joined Paris-based venture capital firm Aster Capital in 2009 and is leading investments in the areas of energy conversion and storage. Prior to Aster, he headed Global Strategy & Business Development for Alstom’s €5 billion Thermal Services business. Earlier, Alexander was Managing Director at ABB in Egypt, responsible for a business unit active in EPC contracting and services for utility and industrial power plants. In 15 years at Alstom and ABB, Alexander closed over 20 M&A deals and created several joint ventures and new businesses. He holds a BA from the University of Applied Sciences in St. Gallen and a Masters in Finance (MSc) from London Business School. Alexander is a Director at Aster’s portfolio company IOXUS (Oneonta/NY, USA), Etogas (Stuttgart/DE) and Atlantium (Bet Shemesh/Israel). He is also a member of the advisory board to French early stage venture fund EMERTEC IV and to the Competence Center Environment and Sustainability (CCES) at ETH Zürich. On a private basis, he is active as angel investor in Switzerland.
- Dr. Urban Keussen (Corporate)
- SVP, Technology & Innovation
- Dr. Urban Keussen studied physics and gained his Diploma and PhD in Physics in 1993. After several roles within the E.On group he became Member of the Executive Board of E.ON Netz – the power transmission operator in 2003. New technologies and related innovations play an increasingly important role for strengthening the future competitive position of the E.ON group. Thus E.ON has set up the new Technology & Innovation function at group headquarter to lead and be responsible for all technology and innovation activities within the E.ON group. In 2010 Urban Keussen took over this responsibility as Senior Vice President Technology & Innovation.
- Rolf Adam (Corporate)
- Director Business Development Energy & Smart Grid EMEAR
- Rolf Adam is a Director with Cisco. He is responsible for the EMEAR Business Development with the Energy industry comprising Oil & Gas and Utilities & Smart Grid. In addition to his responsibilities at Cisco, he is an industry advisor to WHEB Partners (Cleantech fund), sits on the Advisory Board of Entelios AG (Demand Response startup) and emobility2go (EV eCloud startup), and is an expert to the European Commission on Smart Grid. Prior to joining Cisco he was a Principal at Booz Allen Hamilton where he had built and managed the European Smart Grid Practice and an Associate at A.T. Kearney. He holds a Masters Degree in Economics and Business Administration from the University of Eichstaett and a MBA from Webster University.
- Dr. Steven Fawkes (Service Provider)
- Day One Energy Solutions
- Dr. Steven Fawkes is Chairman of Day 1 Energy Solutions which develops and finances energy efficient retrofits. He was previously a Partner at Matrix Corporate Capital and prior to that he led the Extel number 1 rated New Energy and Clean Technology research team at Matrix. Before joining Matrix Steven spent over twenty years designing and implementing energy efficiency programmes in a wide variety of organisations in the public and private sectors, covering portfolios of several thousand buildings. He co-founded two energy service companies, one in Romania and one in the UK that became part of RWE npower. He also worked in Romania on projects with the EU, the UNDP, the World Bank and USAID. He has over 150 publications including a book, “Outsourcing Energy Management”, and a new book on energy efficiency due in 2013. In 2011/12 he was an Adviser to the UK government Energy Efficiency Deployment Office. He is also a Non-Executive Director of Bglobal plc, an AIM listed smart metering company. In November 2012 he won the Energy Institute’s Individual Achievement Award.
- Dr. Joerg Fabri (Service Provider)
- Managing Partner
- 4 years Shell, Manager “Marketing Technology Department”
5 years VEBA AG (E.ON AG), Head of “Corporate Strategy”
5 years RWE AG, Head of “Strategic Planning” and Vice President “Multi Utility Operations”
4 years Arthur D. Little, Partner
6 years Droege & Comp., Managing Director
Since 2011, allocate International, Managing Partner and London & Oxford Capital Markets since 6 years (in parallel)
Education: Dr. rer. nat., RWTH Aachen, Germany and Diploma in Chemistry, RWTH Aachen, Germany
- Mads Jensen (Startup)
- Mads Jensen is the CEO of Sefaira and a visionary in the use of cloud computing for performance based building design. Mads co-founded Sefaira in 2009 with a mission to transform the way buildings are designed and retrofitted. In the pursuit of this, Mads passionately champions the use of deep computing to unlock real-time scientific analysis. Today Sefaira, based in New York and London, is the leading company in cloud software for design of energy efficient buildings and building energy retrofits. Under Mads’ leadership, Sefaira won the Green Building Innovation Award in 2011 and was named a Top 200 Private Company in 2012. Prior to founding Sefaira, Mads was a Business Executive at IBM in Paris and London. He holds a BSc in International Business from Copenhagen Business School and an MBA from INSEAD. Mads lives in London with his wife and daughter.
- Tom Schulz (Startup)
- Tom Schulz is a serial entrepreneur and investor. Tom is co-founder and COO of Entelios, Germany’s first nationwide Demand Response Aggregator. Tom is a co-founder of the San Francisco–based Cleantech Circle, a group of serial entrepreneurs and investors with a passion for Cleantech. He worked on computer languages at Digital Equipment Corporation’s Western Research Lab in Palo Alto and artificial intelligence and multimedia projects at Apple Computer in Germany. Later, Tom was a strategic management consultant for The Boston Consulting Group. In 1995, Tom co-founded the first publicly traded, nationwide Internet service provider in Germany, Cybernet AG, where he served on the executive management board. After going public with Cybernet, he went on to become an angel investor with the Munich Business Angel Network. Later he was a member of The Angels’ Forum, an investor group in Palo Alto that also manages the Halo Funds. Tom currently serves on the advisory board of Earlybird Venture Capital in Munich. Tom earned an MBA from Stanford University and studied Computer Science at the ETH Zurich and KIT (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology).
- Knut Hechtfischer (Startup)
- Knut Hechtfischer is one of ubitricity’s founders and managing directors. Knut completed a bank traineeship and holds university degrees in both law and business administration (MBA equivalent). He then joined leading international law firms in London, Frankfurt and Berlin, advising national and international clients in Regulatory, Acquisition Finance and Renewable Energy related projects. Working as an attorney during the day, Knut’s fascination with the potential of the renewable energy sector soon had him reading up on generation and storage opportunities by night. He envisaged ubitricity’s idea as well as the technical and commercial concepts in 2007 and founded the company with his friend and colleague Frank Pawlitschek in 2008. At ubitricity, Knut directs and instructs the implementation of the ubitricity concept and develops future co-operations and market models connected to his company’s concept. Knut also has a strong technical background and envisioned important parts of ubitricity’s mobile metering system.
Please meet our Ecosummit Advisors who are accomplished, highly-respected nodes of our Smart Green Business Network. Ecosummit Advisors share ideas to make Ecosummit better and faster and make introductions to startups, investors and corporates. At the same time, they get free tickets to Ecosummit events and benefit from special access to our Smart Green Business Network.
All 14 Ecosummit Advisors are on Ecosummit TV:
Alois Flatz (Zouk Capital), Bart Markus (Wellington Partners), Rene Savelsberg (Chrysalix SET), Fabienne Herlaut (Ecomobilité Ventures), Tarja Teppo (Cleantech Invest), Peter van Gelderen (Icos Capital), Alexander Schlaepfer (Aster Capital), Urban Keussen (E.ON), Steven Fawkes (Day One), Rolf Adam (Cisco), Joerg Fabri (Allocate), Mads Jensen (Sefaira), Tom Schulz (Entelios) and Knut Hechtfischer (Ubitricity).